The reliquary hall of Rokuon-ji (鹿苑寺) is called Kinkaku (金閣), and the entire temple, including the reliquary hall, is called Kinkaku-ji Temple (金閣寺). The temple has a long history, and in 1397 the third shogun of the Muromachi bakufu (Japanese feudal government headed by a shogun), Yoshimitsu ASHIKAGA, acquired Saionji through an exchange of territories in Kawachi, renovated it, built a new one, and used it as his residence, Kitayama Sanso. After the death of Yoshimitsu, the residence was converted into a temple, and the name of the temple came from the Buddhist name of Yoshimitsu ASHIKAGA, Rokuon-in dono. The reliquary hall was destroyed by arson in 1950 and rebuilt in 1955. Registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994, the Shariden Hall, covered in gold leaf, is gorgeous and on clear days, the Kinkaku-ji Temple is projected on the Kyoko Pond (鏡湖池), and is very beautiful, making it a popular spot for tourists visiting Kyoto.


1 Kinkakujicho, Kita Ward, Kyoto



Business Hours



[By Bus] About 6 minutes on foot from” Kinkakuji michi” Bus No. 205 and Exp.101.

Parking lots

There is a toll parking lot.

Web Site

Last Updated: June.2020